Thursday, January 3, 2008

filmmaker's quote

My name is "Gustavo Serrate"

My experience in filmmaking:(sorry for the bad english, it may need corrections)I think I start to get the taste of movies when I saw Blade Runner directed by Ridley Scott. In the time I cannot understand the movie because I was only a child, but that was the beggining of my interest in the manipulation of the time, space and human emotions. There is a scene where the replicant smashes the head of his creator, this scene is not just violent, it has something hide between the lines, it has emotion and sickness, it talks about the desire of the replicants to live forever, they´re perfect but their lives is so short, that´s why their vandals, theys errants and rebels. So, with the time I was gaining the perception that the art of cinema can bring concepts that is almost unexplainbles in otherways, even in literature and theather.

Years later my father bought a camera, and I started to make short and crazy films with my brothers and friends. When I became older I started to gain experience, and my films became better, but I wasn´t toughing in take this as a serious profession, it was just for fun, but I was in university, and very unhappy, living in my city Brasília, Brasil. So I moved to São Paulo to study cinema in AIC (International Cinema Academy) and there we made various films, we have to pratice, making something like 3 short films each six months. Two years later I had finished my studies, and so I write my first long film, 80 minutes, and I waiting, because in future I want to film it. In this moment I am in the process of production of my first serious short filme, "HOMICIDA É!", a autoral short. I hope it open the doors for me to keep going in the world of cinema.

I don´t want to stay away from cinema anymore, it´s not just about film making, but about watching life with better eyes.



"People like me, make´s no sense. People who make no sense are always searching for sense in things, and if something definitly does not make sense, people who does not make sense, like me, will need to explain of how senseless this thing can be"

No comments: